This dish is by no means a traditional korma, but its sauce is creamy and full of flavor. The more time you take to brown the onions, the deeper the flavor will be.
This recipe was developed by Kate Sherwood, The Healthy Cook. Have a comment, question, or idea? Email Kate at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Time: 40 minutes
- 2 Tbs. + 1 Tbs. neutral oil (like peanut, grapeseed, safflower, or sunflower)
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 14 oz. package firm or extra-firm tofu, drained, cubed, and blotted dry
- 3 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 Tbs. grated ginger
- 2 tsp. garam masala
- ¼ tsp. ground turmeric (optional)
- 2 cups chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 15 oz. can diced no-salt-added tomatoes
- ½ cup cashews (unroasted or roasted)
- 3 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 cup frozen green peas, thawed and rinsed
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, heat 2 Tbs. oil until shimmering. Sauté the onions, stirring often, until browned, 7–10 minutes.
- While the onions are browning, heat the remaining 1 Tbs. oil in a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Sauté the tofu until golden on a few sides, 5–7 minutes.
- Stir the garlic and ginger into the onions and cook for 30 seconds. Stir in the garam masala and turmeric (if using) and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomatoes, cashews, and 1 cup water. Simmer until the tomatoes soften, 5–7 minutes. Using an immersion blender, purée the sauce until very smooth. (Or carefully purée in a blender until very smooth, then return to the pot.)
- Add the cauliflower to the sauce. Simmer until tender, 3–5 minutes. Stir in the peas and tofu and heat through, 1–2 minutes. Season with the salt.
Serving Suggestions (optional)
- Brown rice or whole wheat naan
- A few sprigs cilantro
- Minced chili peppers or chili flakes
- Thinly sliced red onion (let sit for about 10 minutes in lemon or lime juice to temper its bite)
- Plain yogurt or raita (mix ½ cup plain yogurt, ½ cup grated cucumber, a pinch of salt, and 1 Tbs. minced fresh mint)
- Per serving (2 cups, not including serving suggestions):
- Calories: 360
- Total fat: 23 g
- Sat fat: 2.5 g
- Carbs: 25 g
- Fiber: 7 g
- Total sugar: 8 g
- Added sugar: 0 g
- Protein: 17 g
- Sodium: 590 mg
Photo: Kate Sherwood/CSPI.