Thank you for your interest in the 2021 Virtual Sugary Drink Summit!
It will be held April 20, 21 and 22 between 1:00PM - 4:45 PM EDT.
The three-day event will bring together public health experts and advocates to deepen national, state and local policies that build community capacity for advocacy, improve health and center health equity, while reducing consumption of sugary drinks.
General registration is now closed.
For more information and questions email us at SugaryDrinkSummit2021@cspinet.org.
Here’s what we have on deck for participants:
- Four plenary sessions and 18 workshops
- Choice of workshops from four different tracks:
- Community Building Equity, and Inclusion Track
- Science & Policy Design Track
- Communications and Marketing Track
- New Horizons in Policy Designs Track
- Connect with other public health professionals, experts, advocates, and stakeholders
- Hear from speakers like Rep. Rosa DeLauro, top scientists and researchers, successful community-based activists, and international sugary drink reduction and health advocates
- Learn about the latest in sugary drink science, communications and policy
The 2021 Virtual Sugary Drink Summit will be hosted by Center for Science in the Public Interest. CSPI is a consumer advocacy organization founded in 1971. We work through advocacy, policy, education, and litigation to improve Americans diet and food supply.
If you do not yet know our name, you are probably familiar with our work. Just to name a few, CSPI has led efforts to:
- Add trans-fat and added sugars content to the Nutrition Facts panel
- Add major allergens to food labels
- Pass the Healthy Hunger Free Kids Act to remove soda and junk foods from schools and improve school meals
- Add menu labeling to chain restaurants menus, supermarkets and theaters
- Pass the law to secure the original Nutrition Facts labels on packaged foods in the 1990s
We envision a healthy population with reduced impact and burden of preventable diseases and an equitable food system that makes healthy, sustainable food accessible to all. CSPI values independence, scientific rigor, and transparency.
An event about community building would not be complete without a chance to build our community. Those who are interested will have opportunities throughout the Summit to network with other attendees.
As the Summit nears, we will follow up with more information on networking events.
The Summit is a three-day event and will take place between 1:00PM - 4:45 PM EST on April 20, 21 and 22. Click here for our latest program agenda.
SWEET Act Lobby Day
CSPI is pleased to bring you our first-ever virtual Hill day following the closing of the Summit. On Friday, April 23, participants will have the option to virtually “visit” their Congressional offices to address the need to reduce sugary drink consumption.
These efforts will focus on support for the SWEET Act, a national tax on sugary drinks.
We will separately prepare you to do the visits and organize your visits. Visits will be ongoing throughout the day on Friday, April 23. However, participation will only require 1-2 hours of your time.
If you are precluded from participating in lobbying (i.e., asking for support of legislation) but still wish to be involved, please contact us about engaging in policymaker education instead. Policymaker education would include educating the Congressional office about the impact of sugary drink consumption.
People from your networks and organization—including those not attending the summit—are welcome to join Lobby Day. If you're interested in learning more, please contact Colin Schwartz.
Who should attend?
This Summit is geared towards allies, advocates, and activists for sugary drink reduction, including but not limited to:
- Public Health Professionals
- Public Health Advocates
- Medical and Dental Professionals
- Policymakers and Legislative Aides
- Public Health Students
The Summit’s four plenaries are open to the press. Please contact Katherine Shek for more information.
Is attendance limited?
Registration is limited to 500 participants working in the public health field of sugary drink reduction. We anticipate considerable interest in the event, so please register early to ensure your spot.
What is the cost of the Summit?
We are excited to offer the Summit free of charge.
How will the Summit be hosted?
The Summit is a virtual event. We will reach out to confirmed registrants with more information closer to the conference, including information on how to access our online summit platform.
Can multiple people from the same organization attend the Summit?
Space is limited. Please limit registration from the same organization to allow a diversity of participants to attend.
Still have questions?
Email us! SugaryDrinkSummit2021@cspinet.org