Recipe: Lentil, Apple, & Walnut Salad with Cider Dressing
This hearty salad makes great leftovers for lunch the next day. The cooking time for lentils can vary quite a bit so be sure to keep an eye on them and taste them early in the cooking.
Total time: 30 minutes. Serves 8.
- 1½ cups French lentils
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups apple cider
- 2 Tbs. whole-grain mustard
- Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbs. cider vinegar
- 2 shallots, minced
- 3 Tbs. canola oil
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ tsp. kosher salt
- 1 apple, diced
- 8 cups baby spinach
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
1. In a medium pot, cover the lentils, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf with water by 2 inches. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer. Cook until tender but not mushy—start checking at 15 minutes—then drain, rinse under cold water, and discard the garlic, thyme, and bay leaf.
2. Make the dressing: In a sauté pan, boil the cider until reduced to 1/3 cup. Allow the cider to cool, then whisk with the mustard, vinegar, shallots, and oil.
3. Season the dressing with pepper and up to ½ teaspoon of salt. Toss the apples, lentils, and spinach in the dressing. Arrange on a platter and garnish with the walnuts.
Per Serving: Calories: 260 | Fat: 10 g | Sat Fat: 0.5 g | Protein: 12 g | Carbs: 32 g | Fiber: 10 g | Cholesterol: 0 mg | Sodium: 240 mg
If you enjoyed this, make sure to check out the rest of Kate’s creative, satisfying, and delicious recipes in this handy cookbook!