SUBSCRIBE! If you like Restaurant Confidential, subscribe to Nutrition Action Healthletter, the award-winning newsletter that first analyzed and publicized the nutrition content of Chinese, Italian, Mexican, family-style, steakhouse, and other restaurant menu items. For only $15, you'll receive a year (10 issues) of the largest-circulation, most-read nutrition and health newsletter in the U.S.!
BUY THE BOOK ONLINE! Restaurant Confidential is a survival guide to eating out. It reveals the calories, sodium, and fat including artery clogging saturated fat in close to 1,000 foods. Chinese, Mexican, Italian? Movie theatre popcorn? Mall food? Pizza?
ABOUT RESTAURANT CONFIDENTIAL
Since 1993, CSPI's groundbreaking exposés of restaurant food have attracted
worldwide media attention. Whether it's breakfast food, deli sandwiches,
Chinese, Mexican, or the fare at chains like Applebee's, Outback Steakhouse,
and Olive Garden, RESTAURANT CONFIDENTIALwith CSPI's detective work and their often surprising recommendationsmakes it easy for consumers to make healthier choices:
RESTAURANT CONFIDENTIAL arms consumers with the "Hall of Fame" and "Hall of Shame" of restaurant foods, the foods highest and lowest in calories and saturated fat, tips on navigating the food court, and a 10-point plan for ordering wisely.
- Starbucks: How can a venti White Chocolate Mocha have as many calories (600) as a Big Mac? The whole milk, white chocolate, and whipped cream are to blame. Fortunately, you can get a skim milk Caffè Latte or Cappuccino for only 110 to 160 calories.
- Steak houses: How can a steak dinner be a decent meal? It can be if you order a sirloin steak or filet mignon. Just don't lard it up with a 2,130-calorie "Bloomin' Onion"-style appetizer, or, worse yet, cheese fries-the single worst food ever analyzed by CSPI, weighing in with four days' worth of artery-clogging saturated fat and 3,010 calories.
- The corner deli: Who would have thought that a roast beef sandwich with mustard has one-third the calories and half the sat fat of a typical tuna salad sandwich?
- Pizzerias: A typical serving (a quarter of a large pie) of Pizza Hut's Stuffed Crust Pepperoni Lover's Pizza is not much different than eating two McDonald's Quarter Pounders with Cheese. A typical serving (a quarter of a large pie) of Pizza Hut's Hand Tossed Veggie Lover's Pizza, on the other hand, has half the calories and one-fourth the sat fat.
- Chinese: Don't assume that a chicken dish like General Tso's Chicken is low in fat and calories. This breaded and fried entrée will run you 1,600 calories. Cut calories and slash the fat by ordering stir-fried vegetable-rich dishes like Szechuan shrimp or beef with broccoli.
Thanks to RESTAURANT CONFIDENTIAL, CSPI's hard-hitting research comes out of the lab and onto the bookshelf. It is a unique, invaluable book for anyone who likes eating out-but wants to know what's in the foods they're eating.
CSPI Restaurant Studies:
Chinese food study
Mexican food study
Italian food study
Rate Your Restaurant Diet Quiz