Created in 1986, to serve as a clearinghouse for information on aspartame and to defend the sweetener from attacks. Original funders included Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, Procter & Gamble, General Foods, and the NutraSweet Group. (Food Chemical News, 1/20/86, p.2)
IFIC is supported by the following companies from the broad-based food, beverage and agricultural industry:
- Ross Products Division/Abbott Laboratories
- Ocean Spray Cranberries, Inc.
- Jack In The Box
- BASF Corporation
- Nutrinova Inc.
- Archer Daniels Midland Company and Dannon Company Inc.
- Unilever United States Inc.
- Cultor Food Science, Inc.
- The NutraSweet Kelco Company
- Nabisco, Inc.
- Monsanto Company
- McDonalds Corporation
- Kraft Foods
- McNeil Specialty Products Co.
- Nestle USA, Inc.
- The Pepsi-Cola Company
- The Procter & Gamble Company
- Zeneca Plant Science
- Hershey Foods Corporation
- Gerber Products Company
- Frito-Lay, Inc.
- Campbell Soup Company
- The Coca-Cola Company
- ARCO Chemical Company
- Ajinomoto U.S.A., Inc.
- Best Foods
- DuPont Agricultural Products
- General Mills, Inc.
- H.J. Heinz Company
- Kellogg USA Inc.
(IFIC, undated, received prior to 1999)
IFIC Foundation Board of Trustees, 2001:
- Daniel B. Dennison, Ph.D. Coca-Cola Company
- John. F Manfredi Nabisco, Inc.
- Michael S. Mudd Kraft Foods
- John T. Gould Jr. Unilever
- Fergus M. Clydesdale, Ph.D. Department of Food Science University of Massachusetts
- Sharon M. Friedman, M.A. Department of Journalism and Communications Lehigh University
- Jeanne P. Goldberg, Ph.D. School of Nutrition Science and Policy Tufts University
- George M. Gray, Ph.D. Center for Risk Analysis Harvard School of Public Health
- Nancy Wellman, Ph.D. Department of Dietetics and Nutrition Florida International University
(IFIC Form 990, 2001; on file at CSPI)
IFIC Foundation Board of Trustees, 1995-1996:
- Nancy Wellman, Ph.D., RD, Professor
National Center on Nutrition and Aging
Florida International University, Miami
- Sharon M. Friedman, MA
Iacocca Professor and Director of the Science & Environment Writing Program
Dept. of Journalism and Communications
Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- John F. Manfredi
Executive Vice President of Corporate Affairs
- Fergus M. Clydesdale, Ph.D.
Professor and Department Head, Department of Food Science
University of Massachusetts, Amherst
- Sharon Coleman, Director
Communications and Information Programs
Scientific and Regulatory Affairs
The Coca-Cola Company, Atlanta
- Jeanne P. Goldberg, Ph.D., RD, Associate Professor
School of Nutrition Science and Policy
- John D. Graham, Ph.D.
Director, Center for Risk Analysis
Professor of Policy and Decision Sciences
Harvard School of Public Health
- Michael S. Mudd
Vice President of Corporate Affairs
- Maureen Storey, Ph.D.
Director, Nutrition Marketing
Kellogg USA Inc. (1999: at Georgetown University Center for Food and Nutrition Policy)