Located at George Mason University, Arlington, VA, the Mercatus Center is an education, research and outreach organization [working] with scholars, policy experts, and government officials to bridge academic learning and real world practice.
Since 1996, the Mercatus Center has received $50,000 from Enron and another $10,000 from a foundation set up by former Enron Chairman Kenneth L. Lay and his wife. (Washington Post, 1/25/02, A18) The following is a partial list of donors that have contributed $5,000 or more:
- American Chemistry Council
- American Health Care Association
- Chicago Mercantile Exchange
- Ernst & Young
- Fannie Mae
- Freddie Mac
- International Paper
- Merrill Lynch
(http://www.mercatus.org/; accessed 7/02/02; Email from Mercatus Center dated 2/14/02 on file at CSPI)
Members of the Mercatus Board of Directors include:
- Professor Tyler Cowen, Chairman Holbert Harris Professor of Economics, George Mason University
- Dr. Don Boudreaux, Chairman, Department of Economics, George Mason University & Senior Educational Advisor, Mercatus Center
- Dr. Richard H. Fink, Koch Industries, Inc. & George Mason University Board of Visitors
- Dr. Manuel H. Johnson, Johnson Smick Group; George Mason University Board of Visitors & Former Vice Chairman, Federal Reserve
- Mr. Charles G. Koch, Chairman and CEO, Koch Industries, Inc.
- Mr. Dwight C. Schar, Chairman and CEO, NVR, Inc.
- Dr. Roger Silk, Chief Executive Officer , Sterling Foundation Management
- Professor Vernon Smith, George Mason University
(http://www.mercatus.org/about/about.html; accessed 7/17/02)