Action Alert Archives
Broadcast Liquor Advertising
- 9/26/02 -- Action Alert: Tell the NFL to Reject Ads For Hard Liquor
- 2/26/02 -- Action Alert: Local Television Affiliates Say No to NBC's Hard Liquor Ads
- 12/28/01 -- Press Release: Groups thank television networks for refusing liquor ads
- 12/20/01 -- Press Release: Liquor ads don't belong on network television
- 12/14/01 -- Press Release: Don't let General Electric's NBC pollute network television like General Electric polluted the Hudson River
- 12/11/01 -- Backgrounder: broadcast liquor advertising
- 6/23/98 -- Press Release: National poll sparks renewed demand for investigation of broadcast liquor ads
- 5/27/98 -- Action Alert: Show support for an FCC notice of inquiry on broadcast liquor advertising
- 11/19/97 -- Action Alert: Time to act on alcohol advertising
- 11/5/97 -- Press Release: Alcohol advertising inquiry
- 11/3/97 -- Action Alert: Co-signers needed for House resolution on FCC liquor ad inquiry
- 6/26/97 -- Action Alert: Co-signers needed for House resolution on FCC liquor ad inquiry
- 6/12/97 -- Press Release: FCC Commissioner Rachelle Chong
- 6/10/97 -- Press Release: FCC Commissioner Rachelle Chong
- 6/9/97 -- Press Release: Questions to Commissioner James Quello
- 6/2/97 -- Action Alert: To support FCC inquiry
- 4/24/97 -- Petition: To FCC for notice of inquiry
- 2/28/97 -- Letter: To U.S. House supporting "Just Say No Act"
- 12/18/96 -- Petition Summary and Cosigners of Alaska's petition to FCC
- 11/96 -- Action Alert: Seagram liquor ads spread on TV and radio
- 10/24/96 -- Coalition letters on broadcast liquor advertising
- 8/2/96 -- Action Alert: "Don't let our kids drown in Seagram's TV ads" (New York Times ad)
- 6/13/96 -- H.R. 3644: "Just Say No Act"
- 5/16/96 -- Press Release: Notice of broadcast liquor advertising
- 3/8/04 -- Alcohol Advertising Litigation
- 1/21/04 -- Press Release: Malibu Rum Slammed for Signing Teen-Friendly Shaggy.
- 11/24/03 -- Update: Air and Space Museum Says Bud Light Plane Not a Problem.
- 11/21/03 -- Press Release: Smithsonian Accused of Skewing History to Please Anheuser-Busch: CSPI Calls for Restoration of Historic Plane to Its Pre-Bud Glory.
- 11/19/03 -- Update: 20 U.S. Representatives sign letter to remove Bud Light logos from the National Air and Space Museum plane.
- 10/31/03 -- Action Alert: Help Get Beer Ads Out of the Air and Space Museum!
- 9/9/03 -- New Report: FTC has issued its Report on Alcohol Marketing and Advertising to Congress. Click here to see the press release and report.
- 3/3/03 -- Issue Update: TTB's New Guidelines Doom Health Claims for Labels and Advertising.
- 10/14/02-11/18/02 -- Beer Ads in Comics: Comic strip Tank McNamara takes on beer advertising starting November 18, 2002. Look for the syndicated strip in your local newspaper or check out the website. The strip's authors, Jeff Millar and Bill Hinds, last satirized alcopops and marketing to youth during the week of October 14, 2002.
- 7/26/02 -- Action Alert: Ask Your Representative to Sign a "Dear Colleague" Letter Calling for a Congressional Hearing on the Impact of Television Alcohol Advertising on Children.
- 6/17/02 -- Action Alert: Call for a Congressional Hearing on ALL Television Alcohol Advertising.
- 3/19/02 -- Action Alert: The Time Is Now For A Commerce Committee Hearing On Alcohol Advertising.
- 1/10/02 -- Statement: Alcohol advertising: Are our kids collateral or intended targets?
- 1/9/02 -- Action Alert: Stop hard liquor ads on television
- 10/30/00 -- Action Alert: Urge the Knight Commission to put alcohol sponsorship and advertising on the NCAA reform agenda
- 4/25/00 -- Testimony before the ATF: Concerning health claims and health-related statements for alcoholic beverages
- 3/17/00 -- Action Alert: Notice of public hearings regarding health claims on alcoholic-beverage containers
- 1/31/00 -- CSPI's Comments: Regarding health claims on alcoholic-beverage containers and in advertising
- 1/14/00 -- Talking Points: ATF rule-making regarding health claims on alcoholic-beverage containers
- 11/4/99 -- FYI: ATF seeks comments on "health-related" statements on alcoholic-beverage labeling and advertising
- 9/10/99 -- Action Alert: Ad recklessly promotes binge drinking culture and undermines colleges' struggle to combat excessive drinking
- 3/2/99 -- Press Release: CSPI criticizes new wine industry advertising campaign
- 10/28/98 -- Action Alert: The Wine Institutes proposal to use new labels implying that there are health benefits to consuming wine
- 9/15/97 -- Alcohol billboards ads
- 4/10/97 -- H.R. 1292: Voluntary Alcohol Advertising Standards for Children Act
- 3/18/04 -- Press Release: Beware the 'Side' Effects of Alcopops: Ads in Party Schools' Papers Target High-Calorie Drinks.
- 10/9/03 -- Action Alert: Comments Needed to Improve Alcopops Regulation.
- 10/9/03 -- CSPI's written comments to the TTB on proposed alcopops regulations. (pdf)
- 9/9/03 -- Press Release: FTC Report Misses Mark on Alcopops.
- 6/6/03 -- Call for Comments: The U.S. Treasury Department has called for public comments on the regulation of malternatives. TTB has extended the comment period to October 21, 2003.
- Click here to see the June 2, 2003 Federal Register Announcement (pdf)
- 11/5/02 -- Press Release: Alcopop Labels Dupe Consumers and Regulators.
- 11/5/02 -- Letter: CSPI urges BATF Director Bradley Buckles to promulgate rules that correct consumer confusion about alcopops and regulate liquor-branded alcopops as if they were distilled, rather than brewed, alcoholic beverages. (pdf)
- 10/02 -- Survey Results: Data from the July 2002 and October 2002 studies performed by Global Strategy Group questioning adults and teenagers about perceptions of alcopop products. (pdf)
- 9/17/02 -- Letter: CSPI asks BATF Director Bradley Buckles to examine the impact of liquor-branded alcopop advertising on underage persons.
- 6/02 -- July 2002 press conference materials
- 5/01 -- May 2001 press conference materials
Drunk Driving - .08 BAC
- 10/04/00 -- Update: House-Senate conference committee pass .08 BAC provision
- 9/22/00 -- Update: Urgent action needed! Final decision on .08 BAC provision
- 6/30/00 -- Action Alert: .08 BAC goes to conference committee
National Media Campaign to Prevent Underage Drinking
- 6/29/01 -- Community Action: Promote the National Media Campaign to Prevent Underage Drinking
- 5/23/01 -- Update: National Media Campaign to Prevent Underage Drinking
- 4/10/01 -- Action Alert: National Media Campaign to Prevent Underage Drinking
- 4/4/01 -- Statement: George A. Hacker, Director, Alcohol Policies Project on the National Media Campaign to Prevent Underage Drinking
- 9/14/00 -- Update: Action needed! National Media Campaign to Prevent Underage Drinking - H.R. 5137
- 8/30/00 -- Action Alert: National Media Campaign to Prevent Underage Drinking Act of 2000
- 7/15/99 -- Update: House Appropriations Committee votes down measure to add underage drinking prevention messages to ONDCP youth anti-drug media campaign
- 7/13/99 -- Vote: House Appropriations Committee supports alcohol industry in yea-nay vote of 32-23
- 7/12/99 -- Press Release:Overwhelming majority of Americans say alcohol should be part of a youth-anti drug media campaign
- 7/1/99 -- Vote: Senate votes to table Lautenberg-Hutchison-Byrd amendment (S. 1282) in a yea-nay vote of 58-40
- 6/14/99 -- Press Release: Report highlights alcohol-industry contributions to House Appropriation Committee members
- 6/14/99 -- Report: Under the influence: A compilation of alcoholic-beverage industry political contributions
- 6/7/99 -- Statement of George A. Hacker: Legislation authorizing underage drinking prevention messages in the ONDCP youth anti-drug media campaign
- 5/24/99 -- Update: Potential amendment to authorize ONDCP to include alcohol prevention messages in the anti-drug media campaign
- 5/17/99 -- Action Alert: Potential amendment to authorize ONDCP to include alcohol prevention messages in the anti-drug media campaign
- 4/21/99 -- CSPI Asks: What is the ONDCP "National Youth Anti-Drug Media Campaign?"
- 7/21/04 -- Press Release: Momentum Builds to End Beer Ads in College Sports.
- 3/25/04 -- Action Alert: House Resolution to Eliminate Alcohol Ads on NCAA Sports Broadcasts -- Contact your U.S. Representative Today!
- 3/25/04 -- Press Release: CSPI Applauds House Push to Curb NCAA Alcohol Ads.
- 11/12/03 -- Press Release: Coaching legends help launch "Alcohol-Free Sports TV" effort.
- 11/11/02 -- Take Action: Send a message to NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue asking him to bench liquor ads.
- 9/26/02 -- Action Alert: Tell the NFL to Reject Ads For Hard Liquor.
- 8/26/02 -- Take Action: The Office of the "Drug Czar" has hooked up with beer-sponsored NASCAR racer Jimmy Spencer to bring "anti-drug" messages to America's Youth. Tell John Walters, Director of ONDCP, to end this partnership.
- 1/28/98 -- Action Alert: Break the alcohol-college sports connection
- 8/13/04 -- Resource: A Factbook on State Beer Taxes -- A compilation of charts and graphs to provide both inter-state comparisons and intra-state analyses of beer taxes.
- 3/26/03 -- Beer-Tax Action Alert: Stop alcohol tax cuts in the 108th Congress! Oppose beer-tax rollback bills S. 809, H.R. 1305 and H.R. 52.
- 1/24/03 -- Take Action: Send a letter to Congress to stop federal alcohol tax cuts!
- 6/02 -- Action Alert: Oppose the beer-tax rollback -- 6/02
- 4/02 -- Fact Sheet: Stop the beer-tax rollback!
- 4/02 -- Questions that Congress should ask the beer industry
- 4/02 -- Press Release: Stop the beer-tax rollback!
- 4/02 -- Statement of George A. Hacker, Director, Alcohol Policies Project
- 10/01 -- Fact Sheet: Beer consumption and taxes
- 5/96 -- Publication: State Alcohol Taxes and Health: A Citizens Action Guide
- 5/31/96 -- Press Release: State Alcohol Taxes and Health: A Citizens Action Guide
- 5/28/03 -- Update: TTB recognizes Smirnoff vodka warning label violations.
- 5/7/03 -- Letter: CSPI asks TTB to take action against a violation of federal warning label requirements on Smirnoff vodka bottles. (pdf)
- 8/20/01 -- Press Release: Poll finds that alcohol warning labels go unnoticed
- 8/20/01 -- Final Results: CSPI alcohol labeling study
- 8/20/01 -- Summary of Findings: CSPI alcohol beverage health warning statement study
- 8/20/01 -- Comments on the alcohol beverage health warning statement
- 5/25/01 -- Action Alert: Alcoholic-beverage health warnings
- 11/17/99 -- Petition to ATF: Concerning alcoholic-beverage warning labels
- 11/17/99 -- Press Release: Members of Congress and 121 groups urge alcoholic-beverage warning label improvements
- 4/27/04 -- Issue Update: CSPI and MADD Counter Beer Industry Lobbying Blitz.
- 3/16/04 -- Action Alert: Help Strengthen U.S. Dietary Guidelines on Alcoholic Beverages!
- 1/30/04 -- Action Alert: Urge Feds to Improve Alcohol Beverage Labeling!
- 12/16/03 -- Press Release: "Alcohol Facts" Label Proposed For Beer, Wine, and Liquor.
- Click here to read the petition to TTB (pdf)
- 3/3/03 -- Issue Update: TTB's New Guidelines Doom Health Claims for Labels and Advertising.
- 10/11/00 -- Fact Sheet: Key findings on adolescent alcohol use from the National Household Survey on Drug Abuse and the Parents' Resource Institute for Drug Education (PRIDE) Survey
- 6/15/00 -- Statement of George A. Hacker: Alcohol money calls the shots on Capitol Hill
- 5/31/00 -- FYI: New U.S. guidelines on alcohol consumption drop positive spin on drinking
- 5/19/00 -- Update: Alcoholic beverages listed as a known human carcinogen
- 12/21/99 -- Adolescents and Alcohol Use: Data from the Monitoring the Future Study
- 3/11/99 -- Action Alert: On the prohibition of certain alcoholic-beverage containers
Updated December 20, 2004